Frequently Asked Questions

Who can be included on my permanent residency application?

Immediate family members including your spouse or common-law partner and dependent, single children up to the age of 22.

Once in Canada, can I become a citizen?

To become Canadian citizens, adults must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children under the age of 18 do not need to meet this requirement.

Can I hold dual citizenship?

Yes, current Canadian law makes it possible to have two or more citizenships and allegiances at the same time for an indefinite period. The question of dual citizenship must also be addressed with your original country of citizenship.

Can I travel outside of Canada as a permanent resident?

To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period. If you intend to travel you will first need to apply for a Permanent Resident Card as this is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada.

This wallet-sized plastic card is required for all permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on a commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus).

Can I apply for permanent residency in Canada if I have a pending immigrant application in another country?

Yes, however you will need to show that you are in legal status if you are applying from any country other than your country of current citizenship.

I have relatives living in Canada – can they sponsor me?

Canadian citizens and permanent residents age 18 or older can sponsor:

  • brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).
  • another relative of any age or relationship but only under limited conditions.
  • As of November 5, 2011, no new applications to sponsor parents or grandparents will be accepted for processing for up to 24 months

Manila Office

Rooms 300, Reliance House
205 EDSA cor. Rochester St.
Greenhills, Mandaluyong City 1550
Telefax No.: 8725-9517
E-mail: training@hrpc.com.ph

Cebu Office

2/F Unit 218 Raintree Mall
528 General Maxilom Avenue
6000 Cebu City
Telephone No.: (032) 412-5866
E-mail: trainingcebu@hrpc.com.ph